Shhhhhhhhhhhh…..don’t tell anyone, but Krakus makes better Polish food than most of the well known Food Network & Travel Channel frequented restaurants (that shall not be named) in Hamtramck.
Located on the outskirts of Hamtown in a post-apocalyptic neighborhood near Davison - and yes i’m allowed to say this b/c it’s my hood - is Krakus Restaurant.
The restaurant’s decor is a time warp into the late 1970s. I remember before the smoking ban took affect there was a thick haze upon entering, but now that the air has cleared all the kitschy decor is made visible once again.
A couple things you should know about this Polish restaurant:
1. Order the Ukrainian Borscht Soup! Some of the best tasting beet soup around, a close second to my Mom’s homemade borscht.
2. Agatha is THE waitress, yes the one and ONLY waitress at the restaurant and she’s a no nonsense type of gal with a stoic look & a dry sense of humor.
3. All the food is prepared from scratch by the Babcia, who also happens to be the chief cook & bottle washer….you may even get a glimpse of her thru the small window between the dining area and kitchen and see her carefully preparing the food.
4. Their potato pancakes (pictured above) & pierogi are scrumptious, handcrafted, deliciousness! An order to go, please! : )
5. The patrons of Krakus are ALL locals, and most of the time (if you live around here or grew up in the area) will run in to a few people you know.
6. There’s a secured parking lot next door to the place.
7. On Saturday nights there’s a live Polka band that performs in the adjacent dance hall, and of course plenty of vodka vodka vodka…Sto lat!
8. Cash ONLY!
If you’ve never been to Krakus, make it a point to visit this authentic Polish restaurant!
Location: 12900 Joseph Campau Detroit, MI 48212 | Phone: (313) 368-8599
© Copyright 2010